Using a hydrophone

Essentially a hydrophone is a microphone that can be used underwater. They are often made from a piezoelectric-type transducer. When put into water, the hydrophone converts sound pressure waves into electrical signals that can be recorded. The hydrophone operates with a balanced XLR, which can interface with any recording device that can supply +48V of phantom power. I used a Zoom microphone and used headphones to listen to what the microphone was picking up.

Hydrophone

In my Matrix redesign there is an explosion that occurs in slow motion. The stretched sound gave me the idea to record underwater, where a large object will hit the water and the recording can be stretched. Recalling on a guest lecture in 2016 from a man called Jez Riley French, I remembered him speaking about hydrophones. I then conducted some research on how to use these microphones and started recording and experimenting with one for this slow motion sound. I dissolved some vitamin tablets in water to get one of the layers for a fire crackling sound effect in my Iron Giant redesign (See Figures 1 and 2).

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 22.27.44

Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 22.28.00

Figure 1

Figure 2

(Screenshots from The Iron Giant dream scene)

I found this research important for achieving Learning Outcome 1.

References

• Spanos, G. 2016. How To: Hydrophones. [Online] Available at: http://gamesounddesign.com/Using-a-hydrophone-to-record-underwater-sounds.html. [Accessed: 20 March 2017].
This entry was posted in Practical Research. Bookmark the permalink.